Amy Chua's Why Chinese Mothers are superior

Date: 17 January 2011
by Mommypixie

Have you read the book "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua?

Well, I haven't but after reading the article "Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior - WSJ.com", it got me really interested.

I was about to write a post about how I do not know how I have fared as a mother and this article made me even more confused.

I was also feeling guilty about how I had screamed at Isla.X a few days ago when she was constantly whining and sticking to me and now, having read the article, made me wonder...So, did I or did I not dent her self esteem and does it or doesn't it matter?

The other thing that was bothering me was whether I should start her on enrichment classes and whether holding her back is limiting what she can achieve. hahaha...oh well...

Sidetrack: You see, Isla.X attended some gym classes when she was in Beijing. We just wanted to bring her to somewhere near and warm and to keep her occupied during the cold winter days. She enjoyed herself tremondously while attending the gym lessons and is game for lots of the activities there.
Since returning to Singapore and Malaysia, we have not brought her to any playdates or classes.

But shortly after returning to Malaysia, she started saying things like "pean pean" and would clench her fist and move them inwards and outwards. For about 3 days, Mommypixie had no idea what she was doing. Then she started saying "see...see" and would sway her body while her arms outstretched to the sides.

Then it dawned on me. She was reciting the commands and moving to the commands that she had learnt from the gym classes from the warming up exercises!! "pean pean" was the command "open", where you have to open up your arms to the sides.

"See" is part of the two word command "See and saw", whereby you have to stretch out your arms, and you sway your body left and right, making your arms move like a see-saw.

So it seems to me that she does pick up skills and has the capacity to remember them.

Back to Amy Chua, I do not know whether I will be chinese or western in raising her up yet. And which will be the best for her and me.

But some things are certain: I would like her have love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and have self control.

How will I achieve that?
Leading by example I guess.
Tough one but I will try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails